Whether it’s Brexit, Donald Trump, Syria or the recent terror attacks in Manchester and London, national and international events are impacting on the lives of children and young people in schools up and down the country. Childline has reported a 35% increase in anxiety counselling sessions amongst young callers. Research indicates the reasons for the sharp rise are down to a combination of personal and political issues.
Teachers are increasingly being faced with questions and worries from young people. The NUT in partnership with EqualiTeach have developed a training course to help teachers respond in a supportive and effective fashion to young people’s questions and fears around these issues.
This training session will support participants to:
- address their concerns about working with young people on issues that worry or distress them
- explore techniques to deal with questions from young people
- effectively challenge prejudicial attitudes
- educate young people to help them to recognise misinformation and reject stereotypes, prejudice and hate
- help young people to become active citizens and create positive communities.
Click for more information on the event in Manchester (11th July 2017)
Click for more information on the event in London (12th July 2017)